DANFOSS - VACON® NXP Grid ConverterCategory: Frequency Converter (PL09)
DANFOSS - VACON® NXP Grid Converter
Energy storage and power conversion enabler
The VACON® NXP Grid Converter plays a key role in supporting clean power conversion in distributed networks with or without energy storage.
By enabling the connection of energy storage to AC grids, and facilitating AC grids onboard vessels or island applications in remote areas, it fulfills a unique function. Without the grid converter, none of these would be possible.
The grid converter facilitates load sharing and is highly versatile, for easy integration into diverse networks. Its importance cannot be overstated; the use of a grid converter is a must in reaching emission targets.
Smart grid converter
VACON NXP Grid Converter for smart grids improves stability in the grid by supporting a diverse range of energy generators and energy storage systems. By enabling peak shaving, it in turn reduces the capital investment required for grid infrastructure. It is certified for grid code compliance in a wide range of countries, and for fast system certification for system integrators.
When used with a shore-supply solution, the VACON NXP Grid Converter allows electrical power to be sourced from the local grid, rather than the ship’s main engine or generators. This process, sometimes known as ‘cold ironing’, has a significantly positive impact on fuel economy. It causes reductions in CO2, NOx, and SOx emissions, as well as noise and vibration levels.
VACON NXP Grid Converter can also be applied to shaft-generator solutions, ensuring that propulsion machinery is able to operate at various speeds. The shaft generator decouples the shaft from the mains, which allows better electrical quality and improved fuel economy. Additionally, power can either be taken from or entered into the propeller shaft. This is particularly useful for ships that often alternate their speeds as it creates fuel savings and minimizes exhaust emissions by up to 15%. It also creates an emergency mode meaning that the vessel can operate even if the main engine fails.
Support for system integrators
Danfoss supports system integrators (SI) in designing their systems to bid on projects. Our aim is to help customers by providing tools and reference designs to make their system design easier. For instance, Danfoss can provide configurable 3D models as well as 2D general arrangement drawings from our product offering.
Endorsed by the World Alliance for Efficient Solutions as a Solar Impulse Efficient Solution.
The 1000 Efficient Solutions comprise the very best the world has to offer in clean and profitable solutions to protect the environment. VACON® NXP Grid Converter was assessed on the criteria of viability, deployability, and sustainability.
Supply voltages and power range
- 3 x 380-500 V...180-1100 kW
- 3 x 525-690 V...200-1200 kW
- 3 x 400-500 V...160-1800 kW
- 3 x 525-690 V...210-1800 kW
Features and Benefits
- Reduced fuel consumption as electrical power can be sourced from the grid
- Lower CO2, NOx, and SOx emissions as the main engine can be shut down
- Conforms to ABS and DNV standards
- Improved energy efficiency as engine speed can be optimized
- Liquid and air cooling solutions available
- Facilitates fast system certification for distributed smart grids, thanks to compliance with global grid codes
- Protects critical industrial processes with Intelligent DC backup
- Simplified logistics and good protection with containerized solutions
- Faster, more cost-effective engineering thanks to reference designs
- Facilitates active and reactive load sharing via droop function